SCHOOL FINISHES AT 12.30PM THIS FRIDAY, DECEMBER 14TH
Ata mārie Pīwakawaka whānau,
Wow! The final wiki of the year is here and I’m writing our weekly kōrero to you for probably the second to last time!
Te Kupu O Te Wiki:
Whakapōtaetanga – Graduation
This might be the meatiest update I’ve ever written, so grab a large cuppa & catch up on our latest pānui:
- No trip last week – Sadly we had to cancel our trip to The Esplanade last Thursday due to the atrocious weather that was forecast. As you know, the kids’ safety is our main priority. With thunderstorms, hail, and severe southeasterly winds predicted it was a risk we just couldn’t take. Thank you for your understanding and the supportive feedback we’ve had around having to cancel. It was hard to do – we had tears in Room 3! Read on for the silver lining…
- Papatūānuku Fun Day – We’re having a day of games & fun this Tuesday (December 11th) since we missed out on our trip. It would pay to throw a spare change of clothes in your child’s bag in case they get wet from some of our activities!
- Athletics Assembly – We’ll be celebrating the efforts of our amazing RSS kids at a full school assembly on Monday at 9am. All welcome!
- Balloon Race – We held our Balloon Race this week – thank you so much for getting involved with this and being creative with your kids through exploring science at home! We were so impressed at the creativity & innovation shown by the entries. It looks like you all had lots fun making the racers together! Connor was the winner of our classroom race, so he will go on to compete against the winners from every other room in the Junior School this week. Waimarie pai, Connor! Good luck!
- Artwork – This week we will take down our artwork and send it home for you to display proudly in your whare! We’ve got some incredibly talented artists in Pīwakawaka so I’m a bit sad to be taking our beautifully colourful mahi off the walls.
- Library books – Please return these ASAP. Rebecca (our lovely librarian) is stocktaking and we need all of the books currently on loan to be returned on Monday if possible. Just bring them to Pīwakawaka and we’ll take them over in a big bunch at some stage during the day. Thank you!
- Little Readers – Along the same lines as the library books – we need all little readers to come back to school for stocktake too. This means I probably won’t send any pukapuka (books) home this week, but we’ll still do lots of shared reading in class.
- Willard Home – This Thursday afternoon we are off on our termly visit to Willard Home to share waiata, stories, & time with the residents. We’re a bit lucky that we get to be their final RSS school visit for the year! I know some of our kids like to know about this in advance & talk it through with you so this is just a ‘heads up’ that it’s our turn again on Thursday.
- Year 6 Graduation – We are celebrating and farewelling our Year 6’s at a special Graduation ceremony this Wednesday afternoon at Freyberg High School. Our timetable for the day will look a bit different to accommodate this and ensure the kids get a decent play time and eating time. It’s a bit emotional for some of our fantails because we’re saying goodbye to our tuakana – our big buddies – who we love!
- Stuff the Bus – a HUGE ‘thank you’ to those who participated in ‘Stuff the Bus’ last Friday. I was overwhelmed with generous donations from our wonderful Pīwakawaka whānau, you are all amazing. The bus was well and truly stuffed AND there were still some more schools for it to visit after it left us! Lots of families will have a merrier Christmas thanks to your kind donations – we have such a generous RSS community. Ngā mihi koutou.
- Haere rā, Anna – Anna’s last day with us is tomorrow (Monday, December 10th). She’s moving to Australia with her whānau on Thursday! We have been SO lucky to have Anna teach in Pīwakawaka every Wednesday for the last 3 terms & we’ll miss her hugely. But, we wish her all the best for this exciting new adventure! Thank you so much for your massive contribution to Pīwakawaka, Anna! We’ll make sure Monday is filled with fun and hugs for your last day with us :-)
End of Year reports will be given out on Thursday afternoon, which will include information about your child’s class placement for next year. On Friday morning we have set aside time for every child at RSS to meet their 2019 teacher in their new classroom. This is a valuable opportunity for all of our tamariki to settle any anxieties/nerves for next year and become familiar with their new kaiako and classmates. It’s an exciting time as our Year 1’s transition into Year 2!
Phew, I’ll let you refill your cuppa now! Thanks for your ongoing tautoko (support) & always reading and responding to the info in my novels. I’m looking forward to enjoying this last week with your beautiful tamariki who I’ve been so privileged to teach.
Have a wonderful Sunday whānau mā,
Hei āpōpō (See you tomorrow),
SCHOOL FINISHES AT 12.30PM THIS FRIDAY, DECEMBER 14TH
Connor blowing up his winning Balloon racer entry!
Otis getting his racer ready to go!
Full school haka to acknowledge the beautiful new mural made by some current Year 6’s (with the help of Heath’s amazing Mum, Hayley!). It’s new home is on the wall outside the library – come check it out!
Crayon & leaf art (we were going to do this on our Esplanade trip so decided to try it at school instead)
We love working outside & in pairs/groups!
Heath found a cool texture of bark to make a crayon rubbing with
Stuff the Bus – look how full it is! Thanks everyone!