Kia ora whānau
Hope you are having a great weekend in this amazing weather! One question many of you may have is what is happening with the school pool? An update on that is below along with a whole lot of other important information leading into the the last 4 1/2 days (yes 4 1/2 days – we finish @ 12:30pm on Friday) of the 2018 school year.
However, before we get to those I just want to share with you an amazing day I had on Friday with our Kapa Haka. After all of their hard mahi throughout the year with weekly practices and performances at Pae Tamariki and Ko Whiri Tika Mai, we took them on a road trip to perform at 4 other schools. Like any time I am out and about with Russell Street School learners it is a proud time and especially so on Friday with 4 amazing performances at Mt Biggs, Roslyn, Central Normal and Ashhurst schools. Our children were superb! Special credit to Rosie, Eileen, Nic and Whaea Meta for all of their hard mahi too!
School Pool: This is currently in the process of being repainted as part of its ongoing maintenance schedule. It has been sandblasted ready for painting and is in the queue from our contractors. We hope but cannot guarantee that it will be ready for the holiday swimming season. If pool keys do become available, it will be communicated here on SchoolStream.
The pool can never be open over summer without community volunteers. Can you help? If so please come and see or contact Nick.
Building Work: This Friday is not only the last day of school but also the first day of our exciting building projects taking place over the break and into the start of next year. Room 6 and 7 are having a badly needed upgrade as well as the outside toilets by Room 14. This means parts of the school will be a construction zone so if you are using our grounds over the break please take care around these areas.
Demelza: We are super pleased to let you know that Demelza is back teaching with us next year. Demleza joined us part way through this year taking over Ebony’s class and has been a great asset for our school. Great to have you back in 2019 Demelza!
Reports, Class Placements, Stationery etc: Make sure you dig down to the bottom of your child’s bag on Thursday as they will have been given an envelope containing their report, a 2019 class placement letter, information on stationery requirements, and a Meet the Learner notice.
Meet the Learner: January 23 & 24, 2019. This is a new and exciting initiative to help with the transition into new classes and new teachers in 2019. These will replace the usual Meet the Teacher opportunities in term 1. Before the school year starts, we are inviting all families and learners to come and meet with their child’s new teacher for a 20 minute conference. The purpose is to build relationships and find out as much about the child before school starts. Even if you have the same teacher as previous years, this is an important opportunity to ensure we are meeting the needs of your child. More info with your child’s report on Thursday.
Vacancies: We currently have 2 part time positions available for someone in our school community. If you are interested in either or know someone who is, please drop in and have a chat with Nick.
- Gardener. 2 hours a week, 52 weeks/year. Responsibility of maintaining our garden areas e.g. by the front gate, by the pool, around the office/admin steps.
- Sports Coordinator. 3 hours a week, 40 weeks/year. Organising and coordinating our school sports teams.
- Athletics Prize Giving – Monday 10th at 9am. We would love you to join us if you can.
- School Prize Giving/Year 6 Graduation will take place on Wednesday 12th of December at 1pm. This will be hosted at Freyberg High School this year. For the Year 6 students graduating and their families, there will be a small afternoon tea following the ceremony.
- Last day of school – Friday 14th of December. School will be closing at 12:30 pm. We will be having our final assembly at 12:00 pm. Again we would love you join us if you can.
- Choir – Friday 14th December. Our RSS choir will be performing at Square Edge from 5 pm.
- Meet the Learner – Jan 23 & 24
- First day of 2019 – Tuesday Jan 29 @ 8:55am. Powhiri shortly after 9am for all new learners and their families.
Finally a big thanks to Melody’s New World who donated $1556.36 to our school as part of their Cash for your Community initiative. Thanks Melody’s and thanks to all of our community who shop there!