Kia ora whānau
Hope you have all had a great weekend! Amazing to think there are only 35 school days left in 2018 before we finish for the year and focus on Christmas and what will hopefully be a great summer break! Lots to do and only a short time to get it all done. Here are some notices to keep you in the loop:
Teacher & Principal Strike: It has been confirmed that teachers and principals have again voted to strike. The day for this to take place is Tuesday November 13. The Russell St School Board of Trustees have not yet made a decision if the school will close or not. This will be communicated with you as soon as the decision has been made. In the meantime, I suggest you prepare yourself for the fact that the school may close and you may need to arrange for alternate care of your children.
Why are we striking? Through our union, NZEI Te Riu Roa, we are asking for:
- Smaller classes, so our children can get more one-on-one attention
- More resources and staffing to adequately support children with additional learning needs – this will benefit all children because teachers will be freed to spend more one-on-one time with every student
- A significant increase in teachers’ salaries so that they are properly valued for their qualifications and responsibilities, and as a country we can recruit and retain teachers.
Assessments: Across the Ranginui Team (seniors) this week most students will be taking part in a range of standardised assessments in reading and maths. These are the Progressive Achievement Tests (PATs) in reading comprehension, reading vocabulary and maths, as well as the STAR reading test. These assessments are just one of the many tools that provides our learners, their teachers and you with information about how they are progressing.
Athletics: Please lock in the date of Wednesday November 14 as our school athletics day. This is held up at the Massey Athletics Track and we welcome parents, whānau and friends along to support all of our athletes. A coffee cart will be on site to fuel you up for the day! If you would like to help out running an event, please get in touch with Troy or Steph.
School Crossing: A friendly reminder to all the adults coming into school each day – thank you for modelling the correct and safe way to cross the road by using our school crossing!
Raffle for Ride: Do you have a special vehicle that would be a special treat to come to school in? Maybe not you but a friend? Grandparent? Uncle? If so we would love to have a chat. Please let Nick or Troy know who they are as we confirm rides for our annual Raffle for a Ride event.
Girl Powered Robots: If you haven’t see it already, here is a link to an article on Stuff featuring some of our senior girls. Run by St Peter’s School to inspire tech-savvy young women to bring more girl power to the science and technology sector.
Some other reminders:
- 2019 class placements, last chance to make any requests for 2019 through this form.
- Waka Huia (Rooms 1a, 1b & 1c) new family evening on this Tuesday the 30th of October, from 5.30pm to 6.30pm.
- 2019 Student Leadership Applications are due in by Friday Nov 2. More info here.
- Assembly this week on Wednesday from 2:15pm. Classes in our Niho Taniwha block (our main building, rooms 1-5) are presenting.
Thanks everyone have a great week. If you have any questions about anything in this pānui, please do not hesitate to come in and ask.
Hei konā mai, Nick