Kia ora Whānau,
I hope you are all safe and have enjoyed some family time over the weekend. I know I have had a quiet time at home as all Saturday sport has been cancelled for now.
We are lucky to have a fabulous Massey Teacher called Maddy in our class. She has been taking small groups and doing some whole class teaching. She is enjoying meeting your children and sharing in their education. Maddy is a fantastic asset in Tekau!
Thank you for supporting our Swimming Showcase. Although a cold afternoon we enjoyed sharing a snapshot of what swimming looks like at school. We have done a lot of work on water confidence and all the children can blow bubbles and on a good day put their faces into the water. We all enjoy floating on our backs using the flutter boards to help!
This week we are returning to literacy in our own classrooms. The children have enjoyed our Tokai literacy collaboration. They like the quiet space for explicit teaching, and the opportunity to play with different children. We have enjoyed getting to know all the children in our whānau! However, for now, we have made the call to return to teaching our own children in our own space. As we know our own children the best, this way we are better able to support children who are feeling worried during this uncertain time.
Thank you for continuing to comment on your children’s Seesaw posts. We often share these as a class and the children love to see that you have seen and enjoyed their learning. They are particularly proud of ‘Odd one Out’ comments.
If you are choosing to self-isolate please let the office know or send me an email ([email protected]).
Pānui for Week 9:
- Please update your contact details for us if you haven’t already done so – click here to fill in the form. Thank you!
- We no longer need togs at school so you can pack those away for now. The weather has turned colder and the pool has been closed.
- Water fountains are being turned off from Monday as part of our efforts to reduce the spread of all germs at present. Please make sure your child comes to school with a named drink bottle so they can self-manage staying hydrated.
- Learning Conferences are still scheduled for Week 11 at this stage. REMINDER: School will finish @ 12:30pm on Tuesday 7th April for conferences to start at 1pm. Please make sure you are booked in – click here for instructions on how to do that. When choosing a time please keep in mind that it is most valuable if you can bring your child along with you to the conference as they have a very important role to play. Here’s how the 15 minutes will look for us:
- First 5 mins – your child shares a piece of mahi (work) of their choice
- Second 5 mins – I will share a piece of assessment. This will be different for every child depending on what is best for them (and us) to reflect on, but it is likely to be RSS Values, literacy, or numeracy based
- Final 5 mins – Together we create goals for the term ahead
Thomas is showing Kawenga! He is picking up the rubbish some children left after lunch. He did this without anybody asking him to!