Mōrena Atawhai whānau,
A huge mihi/thank you to everyone who was able to join us for our swimming showcase on Thursday afternoon. The tamariki loved being able to demonstrate some of the learning they have been doing during our sessions. We have fantastic parent support in Atawhai and it’s truly appreciated! Ngā mihi koutou.
Ngā Kupu O Te Wiki: Hari Huritau/Rā whānau – Happy Birthday. Hari Huritau RSS!
Pānui for Wiki 9:
- 90th Birthday – A HUGE thank you to everyone for coming along to celebrate our 90th Birthday yesterday! We had a fantastic turnout from the extended RSS community. We’re so lucky to have had lots of amazing parent helpers, too, so a big mihi to all who offered their assistance in many different ways. I missed most of the event because I was at Kelly’s wedding – she looked absolutely stunning as I’m sure you can imagine. Yesterday was a huge day for the RSS whānau!
- Learning Conferences – These are being held in Week 11, don’t forget to make a booking! It’s beneficial if your child can be with us at this conference as they have an opportunity to share their current learning and be part of the goal-setting process. But, if it doesn’t suit for your tamaiti (child) to come along, that’s okay! Make an appointment for us to have a catch-up anyway. Click here to book (code is 8w2hf). School is closed from 12.30pm on Tuesday, April 9th to allow for Learning Conferences. Alternative arrangements for your child need to be made.
- Swimming – At this stage the pool is still open, so for this coming week continue to pack togs as per usual (Monday, Thursday, Friday). The weather is often quite hot in the afternoons and the kids just love being able to go for a swim to cool off, freshen up, and have some fun outside of the classroom. If it doesn’t warm up enough throughout the day before our session, I will cancel it. If there is any change to this plan (e.g. the pool closes), I will let you know. Thank you for your ongoing tautoko/support which is helping us to make the most of our pool before it closes for the year!
- Christchurch – On Friday we dressed in colour and observed 2 minutes silence as a whole school to pay respect to those affected by the tragedy in Christchurch. As a class we made a beautiful card (see our video on Seesaw) which Nick is taking to the mosque for us while he is on a work trip in Ōtautahi (Christchurch) this wiki. I was very proud of the the depth of understanding and compassion our kids have.
- Kapa Haka – We are super lucky to be joining Te Whāriki (Room 12- Brenda’s class) for Kapa Haka every Friday. Whaea Metarina is going to help us learn some new waiata and haka as a big rōpū (group). We’re extremely fortunate to have Whaea available to teach us and our first session last Friday was a huge hit with the kids. Check out Seesaw for a couple of videos and the kupu (words) for a new waiata we learnt about a bee!
- Pizza Reading Challenge – As a school we are taking part in this again in 2019. For every 7 nights your child reads, they can earn a free pizza voucher. In order to participate in this we need some kind of system where the kids can indicate they have done some reading at home. I am looking into whole class as well as individual options and will keep you posted about what we’re going to do in Atawhai (since we no longer use reading logs).
Enjoy your Sunday – I hope it’s a relaxing one. The term is just flying by, only 3 weeks to go now!
The caterpillar that was inside Sophie’s helmet turned into a chrysalis, and it came out as a Monarch this week!
On Wednesday we did some ‘House’ artwork for the walls in the hall. I’m in Kererū and I loved seeing our Tuakana helping the Teina with their mahi (work). We have such a beautiful big buddy/little buddy culture at RSS.
Estelle and Sally working on our Maths problem together
Kapa Haka with Te Whāriki (Room 12). We loved every minute and can’t wait for next Friday!